Monday, October 1, 2012

GSA, School Board, & Fear of Losing Jobs

I started a GSA. We've only had it two weeks before my sponsor told me that she couldn't do it anymore. She has been talking about dropping us, but I didn't think it would be this fast.
She called me out of class to tell me that she was done with it. Apparently someone told her that I posted on my Facebook wall, we were going to talk about our super intendent, Wardyinski. That was all it took to scare her into dropping it.
I never once said that we were going to use a meeting to talk about him. I've actually gotten in touch with a bunch of people to come and talk about LGBTQ things from transgendered people, stonewall, and even local groups that they can help with.
I, however, am going to be attending the school board meeting Thursday to speak out about the injustice in our schools and what should be done about it. I was also on the news last night speaking out against it. People are being beaten in our hallways! Raped, stripped, beaten, even killed and nothing is being done about it.
Teachers are so afraid to have their name in anything. This isn't the first time that she's told me not to do something because she was afraid for her job. I don't understand how my speaking out against the injustice will make her lose her job or even connect back to her, but it doesn't matter.
I was so excited to, now I kind of feel like I'm going to cry. I know a lot of new members that were going to join and I was so happy that I had got what everyone seemed to think would be interesting guests.

I never thought that it could be this much trouble to start a school club. I had to push to get it past the principals, ask every teacher to be a sponsor, and fight all the hate. Kids are afraid to come because students have been talking bad about it. I hear from the kids that do come that people in their class act like it's a joke and talk down on it. Our signs get ripped down and drawn all over. We get lectured when we follow the rules and told that we haven't and now we just don't have a club anymore. Within a matter of minutes.
I don't know what to do, I kind of feel like giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment