Friday, September 28, 2012

Huntsville City Schools Gone to Hell?

You often see school classified as two things. Kids classify it as a prison that is full of learning and boredom while Hollywood classifies it as a fun place.
It's always sad to find a school system that is closer to the kid's dramatic vision.

Lately I've been hearing and seeing several terrible things about Huntsville City Schools. Now, most of these issues weren't present to me until I began to volunteer and offer an ear to everyone. In fact, despite being in the school system for fifteen years, I never realized just how bad it had gotten until recently. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to believe that these issues just started occuring.

I'll start with a few experiences of my own from the very recent pass and then move on to others that I have confirmed to be true.

September 24th of this year, I was stuck after school. I had just gotten out of an after school club and my ride was extremely late. While I was wandering the building, I came across a friend. She was walking down the hall in front of me. Immediately I could tell that something was wrong. Usually she's pretty perky, but today she was shuffling her feet and her shoulders were drooped. I called out to her and asked if she was okay. When she turned around, the fact that something was terribly wrong was written all over her face. She had been crying and she was shaking just a little bit. She whispered when she told me as if she was afraid that someone would hear her.
She had stayed after school to help with a Creative Writing fundraiser. After the fundraiser, some boy asked if he could walk with her and she said yes. She told me that she was wary about keeping her distance because she didn't know him. She then went on to tell me that he took her phone and held it hostage as he tried to force himself upon her. Forcing himself upon her included ripping her blouse open, trying to undo her belt, and pushing his hand into her pants.
She kicked him several times and fled the scene.
Because of what had happened, she was scared to tell anyone. She asked me to wait to tell people and I informed her that I couldn't. She left too soon for me to do much else for her so I immediately went to the office and asked for security. Turns out that neither security or the principal was available. Since none of them were available, I went to a teacher that I trusted. He took action as soon as he could. Nobody was there so he called around. Within thirty minutes, he had the vice principal on the phone. I explained what had happened and he asked me to come to his office as soon as school started the next day.
I did as he asked. Because I didn't see it actually happen, I just wrote a statement, gave my number to them, and left.
However, I've kept updated through my friend. They contacted the police and her parents as well as an investigator. Then, they tried to pull the camera footage. They were able to get the downstairs footage where he was acting shifty, but apparently they can't get the upstairs footage where it actually happened.
I don't know how they can't get the footage, but apparently they can't.
The punch came later when I called another friend and learned that the school board was telling a news reporter that she was lying. Apparently her rape was all consensual. Tears like that just don't come from consensual playtime in the hall. My theory is that they're trying to say that so that they don't look like they have an unsafe school. Kids messing around in the hall isn't a big deal, a girl being raped in the hall is.
I don't know what's going to happen with this situation, but I'm worried that she may drop it. Also, the school refuses to provide her with protection from several other students that want to hurt her since they were friends and family of the boy. She has been getting threats, but the school has ignored them.

Last year at the same school, we had an issue where a boy was jumped in the bathroom. They recorded it with a phone that caught several students faces, then posted it on Youtube. I don't know all the details of this case so I can't claim too much corruption on the school board simply because I don't know. I do know that the boy died later that night and the video of him getting beaten was posted on Youtube and the news. I also know that there are kids who participated in that event still here.

Yeah.... I feel super safe in my schools.

Moving on to other stories that I know of, but haven't been a part of.

I know a girl at another school here in town that was bullied by her JROTC teacher for making a pro-gay comment. She was talking to a friend about how she wanted to move to San Francisco and the teacher butted in, asking her if she realized that there was a high gay population there. She told him yes, that's why she wanted to move there and he began to preach to them. Her and another student asked him to stop several times but he used his position of authority to continue to the point that it sent her and another student fleeing from the class room in tears. When the parents followed up with the school, they did nothing. The mom wasn't asking for the teacher to be fired, she stated that she simply wanted all of the correct forms to be filled out and they weren't. When they continued insisting that all of the forms be filled out, the school sent back a letter telling them that it was over and that was it. They have now filed with the Board Of Education of Alabama.
The student continues to receive hate letters online about the situation.

Another such story of the lack of action on the schools part is from another school in Huntsville.
A student was jumped by three other girls in the hallway and had her bra and shirt stripped from her. She was then forced to walk down the hall topless. Despite being treated by the hospital for bruised ribs and the school having the video footage, they took two weeks to transfer her to another school. Not only did they refuse to transfer her, they have been claiming that there was a mix up in information and that they don't have proof that she was stripped. They have the video footage, but no proof...?
When they finally agreed to transfer her, they transfered her to a school way out of her range. She had put in for a particular school that she could get to every day and they refused her request.
I'm not sure what all is going on with this situation, but I've heard that only one out of the three attackers was arrested.

Another thing that caught my attention, but isn't about the schools becoming a dangerous place is the Star Testing.
Our super intendent has been bragging about how test scores have shot up since he's been in office..  That's fantastic! Wait...The tests have to be taken once a month? It's the same test to?? I couldn't possibly fathom why the scores are going up!?

5 comments:

  1. . I do know that the boy died later that night and the video of him getting beaten was posted on Youtube and the news. -- the boy died? Are you sure?
    Details, please. And thank you for this account of what happened to your friend.
    Many more are needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've gathered from news sources and people here in the school, he died later that night from the attack.

      Delete
  2. That would be a big thing to keep under the carpet. Perhaps he was "disappeared," as they used to say in Fascist regimes, to Wardynski's teepees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, if he had then the perp would have been charged with manslaughter at the least and very likely the case would have been moved out of the juvenile into the adult courts, which would mean rules of confidentiality would no longer apply, and arrest reports and court dockets are in the public domain and watched carefully by the press (such as it is in H'ville).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would make more sense, but if that was the case, it would mean the news report I had read was wrong. XD I wouldn't be surprised by that though.

      Delete