Friday, September 21, 2012

GSA & Intolerance

I had my first GSA meeting yesterday. Because I know of several people in my school that are gay or bi, I didn't think that I would have any issues with my GSA. In fact, I had high expectations. Those expectations weren't met.
We put a sign up on Monday. I had meant to put up more, but I didn't have time so I left the signs and poster boards with a friend of mine to take home and make more.
On the Sunday prior, I called the principal and wrote down all the guidelines to putting up signs. I was very careful to follow the guidelines because we had trouble with the principal before. He wouldn't explain to me how to make the GSA and ran me around. I started two weeks after other clubs because I was still bugging him for confirmation.
We went to hang up the rest of the signs on Thursday. The sign that we had hung up Monday was already taken down and missing. We hung up four more signs, making sure to get them in convenient areas that students would see them.
When I got to fifth period, I was called out by my sponsor so she could yell at me for putting the signs up in places that I shouldn't have. Well, like I said, we had followed the rules. Our signs got taken down anyway. The other clubs didn't have this problem and I noticed that very few of them had followed the rules. So, why were we getting yelled at? I've been carrying around what was saved of the signs so that I can put them up later this afternoon. Because I have a sign for Gay Straight Alliance, I've gotten a lot of mocking questions and rude comments. I've never had that problem before.
One of our signs had even been drawn on! It said, "Go to church!"
We erased that, of course. I'm sure whoever did that thought that they were really funny.

4 comments:

  1. I remember this. This had me on the verge of crying in 6th period. I couldn't believe that we were getting so much mistreatment. The "Go to church" really set me off. I was seriously about to start bawling. I didn't get over it til 7th period. Can't believe people these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't tell that it upset you that much. Hopefully we'll have a better meeting today.

      Delete
  2. I don't mean to be flippant at all, but when I read the title of the blog, I was prepared to be outraged and feared that things had gotten even worse because I thought you were writing about the Girl Scouts of America, which has historically been quite unlike the Boy Scouts of America. I think they used to use GSA, but I see now it is GSUSA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fine. ^-^
      Most of the time, I try to write about my own personal experiences. It's very rare for me to write about bigger matters than what happens inside my school, social group, and volunteer work.

      Delete