Saturday, September 22, 2012

Parents.... Why Bother?


A loud thump resounds around the house. It’s loud enough to tempt me to turn down my music, but I resist the urge. I learned years ago that it’s best to ignore it and let the storm blow over. It will like always and the thump was probably just something being thrown.
I sigh, allowing the melancholic chords of Apocalyptica to calm my shattered nerves. This really isn’t that unusual, but with the chain of disasters in my life, it’s more bothersome than usual. My reverie is shattered when my mom whirls into my room, throwing my door open. Always one for dramatics, she’s bringing the fight to me. It wouldn’t matter if the door was locked, she would just bang on it and start screaming. Dad follows her. His voice can easily be heard over the piercing scream of cellos. “All you want is the money!” He shouts.
He’s not exactly lying, but I wouldn’t dare mention that. It would just stir it more. Mom yells something back unintelligible and they stand there, their mouths gaping like dead fishes. They’re both seeking something to say, but people of their caliber aren’t great at expressing themselves through words. Instead, mom huffs and lurks from the room.
Sadly, this reprieve from the noise doesn’t last long. The yelling begins again, but this time, they’re putting on their show for the neighbors. It really is a shock that the cops haven’t been called yet. Mom is more than happy to announce to the world that dad’s been drinking. At least the drinking is easier to handle than when he did pills though. I can’t help but shake my head as I remember all the days I missed school because of his habit. The days when mom left me here to baby sit him and no way to school in the morning, the days cleaning up the remnants of the night, and the days in the hospital. Yes. This is much better if not still aggravating.
Once again, my door is thrown open. “Anna!” My mom screams, her voice carrying over the symphony coming from my computer. “He’s lost it! He’s got the keys and he’s stealing the van.” She sounds panicked, but I don’t even turn to acknowledge her. Had it been five years ago, I would have been afraid due to my childlike innocence, but I’m older now and I’ve dealt with this my entire life. He may have the keys, but he won’t do anything. If I turn and say something, I’ll just be drawn further into the fight and used as ammo, making it last longer.
“Give me my money!” Dad grumbles loudly from the other room. Of course mom ignores him, spouting off stuff about calling her parents. Why do all the female ‘victims’ always cry about calling their parents?
Dad throws the keys at her and storms out. In between pauses in my music, I can hear mom crying and saying “I hate him” over and over.
It doesn’t matter to me though. She’ll just go back to him and they’re both in the wrong. She loves being with someone that she can fight with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment