Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Lee High Magnet

Today, I am furious. I feel like I have basically been insulted to my face by the principal at my school. I was late to my Creative Writing MAGNET because I had club pictures. When I came in to get someone for a picture, my magnet teacher was crying. That in it's self made me angry. Let me state that out of all the teachers that I've had, she has been the second biggest influence in my life. It takes a lot to put up with me because if you know me well, I am loud, gregarious, and temperamental. Despite all of this, I maintain strongly that there are very few teachers out there that would be able to keep their cool with me for one year, much less three. She actually cares about what we have going on at home and wants us to be happy. Do you know how rare that is for a teacher? Yeah, she makes me angry sometimes because we have differing views on stuff, but I know that she means the best. She was crying because in the first time in seven years she had been written up. She was written up because us students, students that applied to this class and come from all over town, published in magazines, novels, and newspapers, students that keep good grades, students that have been shown to be exceptional in this subject, were writing stuff that was "TOO VULGAR". We have never had this issue before. When we enter this class, we are expected to be amazing writers that can go above and beyond. If you censor our work, some of us will never go anywhere. We have students in here that could be the next Stephen King, but they won't ever do that if they are told that they can't. I am about to turn eighteen this month. I think that I have the mental capacity to understand what I am reading. And no, my own writing has never been vulgar. It's not my own writing that I am worried about. I am upset over how this was handled, what with her being written up instead of confronted, and I am furious with us being censored. Magnet makes Lee what it is. If not for the magnet, Lee would have been shut down because of the white to black ratio. Even if that wasn't the case, Lee is known for it's Magnet. Do. Not. Fuck. With. Us.

No comments:

Post a Comment