Thursday, May 3, 2012

All Faith In Humanity Was Lost That Day

Today in English we watched a movie called Food Inc. If you don't know what this is, it is a movie about how our food is made. They go behind the scenes for major food places like McDonalds, Tyson's Meat, and other brands that are commonly found in the grocery store.
Since such videos and new stories have been circulating for as long as I can remember, it's easy to become impartial to them and forget them relatively quickly.
I've seen videos about the animal abuse, the chemicals, the health issues, and the working conditions but once dinner comes around, I've forgotten them entirely.

This video, this experience, I don't think I can forget.
In the past month, I've become more aware of the things around me and the people in my life. People who help others in legit kindness and people who help others just to hear how good that they are for doing it.
The movie was enough in it's own. It showed true stories from people who had lost their contracts for their kindness to the animals, such as not buying a chicken coop that left the chickens in the dark their entire life, and being willing to show the reporters the inside of them to show the world what is going on.
The two parts that got to me the most were the story of a mother who had lost her child in less than two weeks and a clip of a half dead cow being pushed into the butcher by a dump truck.
They didn't bother to hide the tears that the mother cried during her interview or the pain in her eyes. Most people take it out to hold their self image up high, but she did.
The cow, says enough.

However, it wasn't the video that got to me the most.
It was my English class.
For some reason, watching the farmers put corn into a hole that was in cow's stomachs was funny. Watching them cut the throat of chickens, pigs, and cows; was funny to them.
When the mother was crying, they laughed all the harder.

It might not be a big deal, but this bothered me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment