Monday, April 23, 2012

National Beta Club, Fear of King Kong, and Baby Sitting

This weekend I went out of town with some kids from school. We were going to Birmingham, Alabama for the 74th annual Beta Club convention.
It looked like it was going to be boring, kids mulling around with art everywhere, a fancy hotel, and nothing going on, but luckily it proved me wrong. We entered our art into the contest and headed to the first assembly.
I felt asleep pretty quickly into the assembly because old people kept talking, but I was soon woken up by loud music. Apparently there was a group talent competition and the top eight were going to perform.
They wanted to win so they were fantastic, dancing, singing, and acting.
A lot of the presentation was dedicated to the southern storms that ravaged Alabama and several other states in April of last year, but it was still a pretty fun presentation.
After the acts, we went to our hotel.
Let me just go ahead and say this...
What the hell is wrong with anyone that wants to stay on the 16th floor? I mean, honestly. And on top of it, the rooms look down on the hotel lobby so you can see just how high up you are.
I latched onto my pillow on my bed and refused to move for a good while. My logic was, if the floor fell out from under me for any reason, the bed would offer some form of protection.
I decided to call someone and ramble to them about all of the things that could go wrong. I whined about air planes flying into the building, King Kong attacking us, and falling over the rail.
The chances of actually falling off the rail were ridiciulously low since I was staying as far away from the rail as I could, but that wasn't the point.
Eventually I was dragged from my bed downstairs, where I was instantly relieved...Then I saw King Kong... After just rambling on to my friend like a child, afraid of a giant monkey, there was one in front of me.
It turns out that one of the girls that was running for beta president was using a monkey and bananas as her slogan, Anna Banana goes bananas.
Despite all this, I managed to sleep that night, albeit, really late at night.

When I got back, my friend asked me to come to a party with her. She's been living with another woman who is named Tiffany. She pays the rent by watching her daughter at night while she works and helping to put food in the kitchen when she can. Since Tiffany was going to be at work, she had to bring both her daughter and Tiffany's daughter. Everyone started drinking and I kept an eye on the children, come around 4 AM in the morning, she slipped a twenty in my pocket and left me with both of the kids. They woke me and I took care of them until Tiffany got back.
Because I kept an eye on the little girl while my friend wasn't treating her right, she told her mom that she wanted me to baby sit her. So I now have a new baby sitting job.
She is the most behaved kid that I've ever watched, but kids are still exhausting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment