Sunday, June 24, 2012

Huntsville's Gay Pride 2012

Never in my life have I struggled for words to put on paper, but today will definitely be a struggle to express through words.

Huntsville, Alabama is known as the Bible Belt. We're in Alabama, a state already thought of as ignorant in many things, but the Bible Belt... We made a large leap from the ignorance that we've been branded with today.

The day started off pretty bad with my ride cancelling at the very last second. I was certain that I wouldn't make it, but I called the director of Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Transgendered Youth & Advocacy and he was able to suggest someone with in seconds. Despite the inconvience, somebody picked me up and took me to the festival. By the time I got there, they were still setting up so I decided to drift around and offer my help.
Many groups had come today; We had Grissom's Gay Straight Alliance (A highschool group), Teen Coalition (A group to banish STD's), several church groups, a group of democrats, Tarot reading, and many more.

Much like last time that I helped with GLBT Youth & Advocacy, I was shocked by how well put together everything was. All of the tables and tents had been set up early, the sound board and stage were set up, and just about every group offered  free drinks, food, chairs, and small trinkets.

After I had finished checking out all the tables, I made my way to a shaded area and sat by myself while I waited for two girls I babysit to get there. I expected to spend the day mostly alone, but that was quickly broken apart by Grissom's GSA. Two of the girls, I had only met them once before, wasted no time in inviting me to sit with them at their table.

It didn't take long for the kids to arrive. The kids were three and four so they didn't understand much of what was going on. The best that I could explain it was telling them that despite one being black and the other being white, I loved them the same and just like that, this festival was to celebrate loving everybody the same.

They quickly made their way to the moon bounce and played while I talked to several people.
I can honestly say, never once in my life has it been so easy to talk to people. Everyone was here for one thing. They wanted the right to love whoever they chose. It was surprising to me to see so many same sex couples in Huntsville. I knew we had a large community of gay, bi, and pansexual people, but I've never been talking to someone to be introduced to their significant other of the same gender.
In a nutshell....It was pretty freakin' awesome!

Once the kids were done playing, they were hungry and thirsty. One table offered them cookies, brownies, and candy. (Which like the spoiling babysitter I am, I let them have before dinner). Another table supplied us with chips and hot dogs, while almost every table offered us cokes and water...All for free (This shocked me...If you couldn't tell). We made out way back to Grissom's GSA alliance and began to eat. Soon after we were done eating, the parade was almost ready. I put the youngest baby in her stroller and we made our way to the street with the two girls from Grissom's GSA.
I had forgot to bring the baby's some water. It turned out to not be much of an issue though. Everyone was more than willing to offer them water and one of the church ladies sprayed them with mist. The girls from Grissom's GSA shared their water with the babies as the parade began. We walked around the park and the girls waved happily at the people as we passed them. The parade was much bigger than I had thought. It started with people holding a large rainbow flag, followed by people with banners and signs, then people with dogs, motorcycles, and rollerskaters who handed colored beads to people, next was us, then the churches and other organizations with banners, finally cars with balloons carrying drag kings and queens.
The parade circled the park and broke apart once we returned to the starting point. After the parade came the event of the night....

The drag show.

Maybe it was so awesome because it was my first one...Yeah right, these people were FABULOUS.
I was so jealous how beautiful they looked despite the heat. XD
During the drag show, one of the dancers proposed to her partner. Her partner said yes! It was amazing, I think everyone, regardless of if they knew the couple or not, was blown away.
The part that touched me the most was when the four year old very firmly let me know that the drag queen on stage was NOT beautiful like I said. All of them were beautiful! Then the women behind me offered them dollars several times so that they could go and offer it to the pretty dancers.












The babies tipping one of the dancers


It was disappointing when the show had to finally come to an end, but like most great things, it did.
After the show ended, everyone prepared to head home.

I have to say, never once in my life have I felt so comfortable with people. I could walk up and say hi to anyone and they would happily greet me back. This event was much larger than I had expected and it was so friendly.

I can't wait for next year. <3


(All images taken by me with the exception of the beautiful parade shot on the very bottom that was taken by Laura Uselton)


2 comments:

  1. Once again you have chronicled one of our events in such an honest insightful way! Thank you for being with us and for sharing what this great day meant to you. As I read the blog I realized once again that we were truly successful and pulled together exactly the type event we planned...a community event where everyone was welcome, where everyone was generous, where everyone was kind. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful thoughts of the day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete